Friday, July 20, 2012

Dear Aven,
        I awoke this morning excited about typing you a short message and was stricken by sadness as I learned of a horrific incident which occurred in Colorado today.  If you take the time to look up Colorado movie shooting July 20, 2012, I am sure you will be able to find the details. 
         I gave your sisters and you the biggest, most sincerest hug, as I know many parents across the country will do tonight.  Those parents who have taken for granted their children were reminded today that life is so very precious and we do not know when or where we may take our last breath. 
         As I looked at you, I could only think about how you did not choose to come into this world, nor did you choose your diagnosis. I thought about the battles that you will face in your future as you will fight for just one more breath on a daily basis and how someone by an act of violence could so easily take it from you.
         They do not have a motive at this time as to why this young man in Colorado did what he did, but I feel as a high school teacher, that there is so much that we are not doing in preparing our young adults to handle frustration, depression, stress and anger.
         
          I am reminded of the meaning of your name.  Aven, means courageous and brave.  Yes you are. Yes you will be.  My thoughts are with all the families and friends who suffered today.

                                                                                   Much Love Today, Tomorrow, and Always,
                                                                                             Your Mother Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment